Chicken Cacciatore on a bed of “polenta” – no corn of course! This dish hails from Italy, where it’s common, comforting and inexpensive. My take on this homey dish will not disappoint, full of flavour, satiating and satisfying.
For the “polenta” you will need:
- 2 small or 1 large cauliflower, washed and cut into florets.
- 2 tabelspoon of Ghee/butter/coconut or olive oil (Ghee gives it the most amazing flavour and velvety texture
- Unrefined salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of coconut/or almond milk
- ½ cup of water to steam the cauliflower
For the Cacciatore you will need:
- 5-6 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- One yeast free organic bouillon cube
- 2 green peppers sliced deseeded and sliced
- 2 cubanelle sweet pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 onion yellow onion diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- One small can of diced tomatoes/or 4-5 fresh tomato
- ½ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Unrefined salt/pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon of coconut/olive oil or Ghee
For the “polenta”:
- In a large pot, add the ½ cup of water along with the cauliflower. Steam the cauliflower until fork tender. Once tender, drain well and add to food processor along with the remainder of the ingredients. Process until very smooth and creamy. Set aside!
For the Cacciatore:
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of coconut/olive oil or ghee to large skillet, add diced chicken until slightly browned.
- Add remainder of ingredients, cover and sautee until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
Put it together:
Heat the polenta in a small saucepan, then scoop into bowls, and top with chicken cacciatore.
Serve with a large salad, Enjoy!