Tags: dairy free, delicious, easy recipe, gluten-free, grain-free, healthy, nut-free, soy free, wheat free
Nut-Free Sandwich Bread
We’ve been busy recipe testing and enjoying all the test batches! While many of you are enjoying our Fresh Baked Bread in Healthy Comforts Cookbook, we have had quite a few requests asking for a nut free version as so many of you have a nut allergy. So, we got busy recipe testing making sure that the end product was soft and chewy on the inside and crusty on the outside. We added unflavoured gelatin not only for the health benefits (to strengthen hair, skin, nails, and heal the gut), but this ingredient allowed us to reduce the amount of eggs this recipe would need while lending to the texture and elasticity!
- 1 Tablespoon of unflavoured gelatin (such as Great Lakes Brand)
- 3 Tablespoons of cold water
- 3 Tablespoons of hot water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 Tablespoons of avocado or olive oil
- 1 ½ cups of arrowroot powder/flour
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon of unrefined salt
- 1 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 Teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 5×8 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or hand mixer add the cold water and sprinkle the gelatin over top. Allow the gelatin to sit for 5 minutes in order to bloom.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and add the hot water one tablespoon at a time, then increase the speed to medium high. Make sure all the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Add the 4 egg whites and beat until the eggs are frothy.
- Add the egg yolks, and oil.
- Reduce speed and add the arrowroot powder, coconut flour and salt. Slowly increase speed.
- In a small bowl add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar, it will start to froth which is exactly what you want (this acts as a leavening agent). Give it a stir and add it to the stand mixer.
- Mix, and make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 70 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Store in the refrigerator or slice the bread, and store in the freezer.
** This bread can also be made into a sun-dried tomato and olive loaf by adding half cup of each **
Tags: anti-candida friendly, anti-parasite friendly, blood sugar imbalances, clean diet, comfort foods, dairy free, ghee, gluten-free, healthy, sheppard's pie
- By Lena Ferrara
- April 4, 2017
The ingredients in this recipe are free from the most common allergens. Free from dairy, gluten, wheat, soy, starches and refined sugar.
Most of my recipes are Candida/parasite friendly (this is something that is very prevalent in my office), also perfect if you are wanting or needing to start eating a clean diet. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do!
Allergen-free Shepherd’s Pie
For the meat mixture:
- 2 pounds of lean ground turkey
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon coconut amino (soya sauce substitute)
- Unrefined salt/pepper to taste
- 2 ½ cups of vegetables (I use cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, carrots) do not use cooked carrots if you are on a candida or parasite cleanse until you have successfully completed the program.
- 1 small can of tomato paste (156 ml)
- 1 large onion, diced.
- 2 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
For the Cauli-mash:
- 2 small cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons Ghee (or coconut butter, but the Ghee gives it not only a wonderful taste but texture as well. Ghee is butter that has been separated from the protein which is what usually causes dairy intolerances or allergies.)
- Unrefined salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Directions for meat mixture:
- In a large skillet add two tablespoons of coconut or olive oil, add diced onion, cook until translucent.
- Add Turkey, cook until browned, add tomato paste, broth, coconut amino, salt, pepper and vegetables.
- Cook until vegetables are slightly tender but still crisp and set aside.
Directions for cauli-mash:
- Cut and wash cauliflower, add to large pot with one cup of water (to steam).
- Cook until tender, drain well.
- Add cauliflower, coconut milk, ghee, salt and pepper to food processor. Blend until creamy.
– In a casserole dish, use coconut oil or non-stick spray to coat the bottom of dish.
- Add meat mixture, then layer the cauli-mash – spreading a layer over meat mixture.
- Optional – sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and paprika over the cauli-mash.
Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, I like to broil for a few minutes at the end just to add some colour.