It’s amazing how many dishes you can make with cauliflower, all you need is a little imagination. Not only is it versatile but it’s full of nutrients. A member of the cancer-fighting cruciferous family of vegetables, cauliflower provides your body with impressive amounts of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, beta-carotene, supports healthy digestion and detoxification. Cauliflower is anti-inflammatory and is rich in antioxidants. Has nutrients that help boost both heart and brain health.
This Shrimp and Grits recipe– Paleo style of course, is full of flavour and makes a hearty and satisfying dish!
Cajun Shrimp and “Grits”
Start by making the Cajun seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
Combine together and set aside. Left overs can be stored in a mason jar for later use.
*NOTE: This is not very spicy, just enough of a kick. If you prefer it spicier, increase your cayenne pepper to 1 ½ teaspoon and chili flakes.
For the “Grits”:
- 2 small or 1 large head of cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
- ½ cup of water to steam cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of coconut or almond milk
- 2 tablespoon Ghee/butter or coconut/olive oil (the Ghee or Butter if you can tolerate it gives it a creamy and delicious texture.
- 1 teaspoon of unrefined salt/and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon of coconut flour
For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil or Ghee
- long green onions chopped for garnish and more flavour.
For the Grits:
- Place the cauliflower in a large pot with ½ cup of water and steam on medium heat until
the cauliflower is fork tender. Drain well and place in food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until smooth and silky, set aside.
For the Shrimp:
- Dry the shrimp and season with the Cajun spice blend you made earlier.
- In a pan over medium/high
heat add 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil or Ghee.
- Cook shrimp until they pink in colour, careful not to over cook.
Portion “grits” into each bowl, add the shrimp and garnish with green onion!