My mother made the most delicious meals and one of my favourite was cabbage rolls. You know how gardeners have green thumbs, well that’s my mom in the kitchen. It didn’t matter how many times my siblings and I tried to recreate those dishes…they just never turned out the same. We always joked (but not really) that she would leave out an ingredient or two by accident of course when telling us the recipe….
Since changing my diet, I’ve decided to recreate those mouth watering dishes using different ingredients that mimic the same awesome flavours. In my opinion, this recipe does just that! Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do.
Paleo Cabbage Rolls
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- ½ a large onion (reserve the other half for the tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ head of cauliflower
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 2 jars of pureed tomato
- 2 organic yeast free chicken bouillon cubes
- One head of cabbage
- 2-3 basil leaves
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of Buckwheat flour or your choice of gluten free flour
For the meat mixture:
- In a food processor add the ½ head of cabbage in small florets and pulse until a rice consistency is achieved.
- In a large sauce pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, sautee half a chopped onion and one crushed clove of garlic until translucent. Add the turkey, cauliflower, salt/pepper until half way cooked, then add ½ of one jar of the pureed tomatoes, parsley and one of the bouillon cubes and finish cooking until meat is done. Remove from heat and allow to completely cool.
- While meat is cooling, bring a large pot of water to boil, carefully peel the cabbage leaves one at a time and place in boiling water just until softened and pliable. Remove with tongs and place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process.
For the basic tomato sauce:
In a small sauce pan add 1 tablespoon of oliveoil and sautee the reserved ½ onion chopped and the garlic crushed until translucent. Add the rest one and a half jars of tomato puree, basil leaves, salt/pepper, bouillon cube, fill one of the tomato jars half way with water and add to sauce. Let simmer for 20 minutes, it will finish cooking in the oven.
- Once the meat mixture has cooled, add eggs, nutritional yeast and buckwheat flour, combine well.
- In a large baking pan, add some of the tomato sauce, to evenly coat the pan and for the cabbage rolls to sit on.
- Take the cabbage leaves out of the water and pat dry, place on a flat surface and fill the center of the cabbage with the meat mixture, roll the cabbage securing the meat in place. Add to the baking pan and continue until all the cabbage is filled and rolled.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the cabbage and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 400F.